Saturday, February 28, 2009

Poetry Time

I'd hate anyone to think I'm some sort of political activist, based on my last post. So I'll paste a Phillip Larkin poem today, just to balance everything out. (And next week I'll have to get back to medical posts lest anyone think I'm the effete poetry guy all of a sudden.) I like this one, though.
We met at the end of the party
When all the drinks were dead
And all the glasses dirty:
'Have this that's left', you said.
We walked through the last of summer,
When shadows reached long and blue
Across days that were growing shorter:
You said: 'There's autumn too'.
Always for you what's finished
Is nothing, and what survives
Cancels the failed, the famished,
As if we had fresh lives
From that night on, and just living
Could make me unaware
Of June, and the guests arriving,
And I not there.

No comments: